During this time of at home enrichment due to the current school closure, it is important for kids to continue to stay active. Below is an additional resource to help keep your kids in motion during this time.
Why is physical activity important?
- It helps us relieve stress.
- It helps us focus.
- It helps make our muscles and bones strong.
- It builds strength and endurance.
- It burns calories.
- It lowers our blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
There are three main types of physical activity.
- Aerobic activity. Cardio
- Muscle strengthening activity.
- Bone strengthening activity.
The wonderful thing about fitness is there are so many different types of activities to choose from.
The best part about physical movement is there are so many different activities to choose from. Get your body moving and have fun. Everybody can do it, and everybody can do it at a pace that is comfortable for them.
You should make up your own fitness plan using some basic ideas
- Have one activity for each of the tree types listed above, some activities such as dance would work in all three, but a good idea is to have three different activities.
- Aerobic should be at least 20 minutes in duration, and get your heart rate up.
- You should exercise one hour per day. This does not need to be all at once.
You as the student know what works best for you, and the ideas above can get you started. The main idea or goal is to get your body moving!
If you are still not sure I will give you a couple of activities.
- Go for a walk.
- Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Push ups, Crunches.
- Any type of sporting activity you can do while social distancing.
Remember the internet is a great tool when used responsibly, and the activities are endless. The TABATA 4 minute workouts on youtube are good, and they have them for every ability.
Youtube: Tabata routines. All Ability levels just choose one and go. Here is an example: https://youtu.be/jyWyBern6q4
Basic Warm up:https://youtu.be/aW_JqSK-CgY
Basic Lay UP: https://youtu.be/DcDRnnY5zO4
Shooting a Basketball: https://youtu.be/BloEnNbz4qk
Obstacle Course: https://youtu.be/-NkJxXtGuAI
REMEMBER BE ACTIVE AND HAVE FUN WHILE YOU ARE DOING IT!
I will explain all this information to the students during the first Zoom Class.
I will be doing zoom meetings once a week with each class. During this time I will give the students ideas and strategies.
If you have any questions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you asap.